View Single Post
Old 2008-07-26, 02:17   Link #1068
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I think it's a very important piece of history to make note of. Understanding the values of the religion is one thing, but understanding how a religion can be twisted for such horrible acts is something that many people fail to see.
I'm not disagreeing with you, it definitely has been and still is being used as a system of control over the masses of sheep.

What I would like to add though is that it is not solely because of religion that things are like that, it is something more complex and just has to do with typical human nature.

When you take away religion from the picture it is juxtaposed with something else. In the case of a country like China where Atheism basically prevails throughout the land, the government essentially becomes their religion. People fill that void in their hearts always with something. Many scientists fill it by trying to find the true meaning of life in a rational manner. Perhaps this concept is a little hard to convey to you all, but I guess I would say that religion just fills a void that many other things would if it were not for its existence. However, it was or maybe still is one of the easiest methods to control others.

@Kyuusai

I wish there were many more people like you in this world. If one is a spiritual or religious person, you set a pretty great example as a person for them. While I am agnostic and lean more towards atheism than religious faiths, I can fully respect your cause.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote