View Single Post
Old 2011-09-13, 18:09   Link #70
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The ending went a bit too strong on the happy ending side for me.

Just too many happy, almost magical things going on here. Takes some of the punch out of the ending for me.

We had...

1) Okabe gets to meet up with Kurisu again. It would have felt a bit more poignant to me if the price for saving her was never getting to meet her again.

2) Okabe is back on his feet, recovered from the stab wound, happy as ever, before the episode is over.

3) Okabe is buddy-buddy with all his past lab members, including Moeka.

Either 2 of the 3 I could probably take, but all three?

Sorry, WhiteFox, you went a bit too far here, imo.

Still a good, satisfying conclusion, but I won't remember it as fondly as I otherwise would.

8/10 for a nice, neat and tidy ending, but not the classic that it could have been, imo.
I'll have to sort of agree with this one. While I am perfectly fine with Kurisu tracking him down since he did save her in one of the most epic ways imaginable and that was bound to make a very strong impression (coupled with that "steins gate light" ability everyone has that allows them to have fuzzy memories of parallel timelines) I am however finding it hard to believe that Moeka just popped up out of nowhere.

On the other hand and thinking back since we do know that Mr Braun was actually FB it wouldn't be that hard of a stretch to think he took her in (since even after all that he didn't seem like a truly bad guy).

As for the episode I enjoyed it but it did bring the tension crashing down quite a bit by going back a bit to that light-heartedness we had during the first half of the series. While I think that allowing things to come full circle and restore Okabe to his no cares in the world self was important I think it might have been handled better. I can't quite put the finger on what went wrong but I think it might have been the soundtrack that for the first half of the episode wasn't particularly engaging. Either that or a bit too many scenes crammed into 20 minutes due to not skipping the OP.

However I for one am very happy to see a truly and unequivocally happy ending on a show. It seems that for quite a bit of time anime has been stuck with a constant barrage of bittersweet or even downright brutal endings that getting something so unmistakeably happy is different and novel enough for me to enjoy. It wasn't perfect, far from it, but it suited the show well enough for me.

Oh and one more thing: I think I finally found a potential reason for Okabe's reading steiner. What if he has it because he was time travelling when the lines were changing and because of it he became capable of remembering the shifts? Either that or the same thing that allowed him to view the video from his future self triggered the steiner due to similar reasoning. Well those are my theories at least.