Thread: Licensed Noir
View Single Post
Old 2004-06-05, 20:26   Link #41
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

A little late, but...

As Noir is one of my favorite anime titles ever, I have to comment.

I admit that the plot moved slowly, but that was part of the charm of the show. For example, at first, the endless flashbacks annoyed me to no end, but as the series progressed, they became an extremely powerful running motif. The mysterious atmosphere kept building up, and I loved it. I also liked the fact that the first episodes were detached and episodic. Each ep. was a new story in a new place, that revealed the truth little by little. It was really a treat when everything came together near the ending. Also, unlike many other animes, the ending didn't seem rushed or sudden (which detracts from a series' strength).

Also, interestingly, while watching it, I didn't get the impression that I was watching an anime. There was no unrealistic explosions or magical powers, no distortions of any of the cahracters, and few radical plot twists. Unlike other action-genre series, I didn't have to wonder whether characters were really humans or just giant exploding sacks of blood. Best of all the music was incredible (no saccarine J-pop!!). I went out and got the two OSTs right away and they played nonstop on my playlists for a week.

I will concede, however, that I was a little let down by the action in the later episodes. Though at first, I could understand how the fighters were a little unsteady, their skill level never improved. The Soldats' best knights, the nuns, and the common everday lousy grunts all had the same shooting ability. Oh well...

As for the ending:
Spoiler:

All in all, it's a masterpiece, and I would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat.
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote