View Single Post
Old 2012-11-25, 20:44   Link #60
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think its crap when a lover insists one drops one's friends or hobbies - that's possession, not love
But that's not the question
This is not "Sophie's Choice"
What I am asking is to dig deep down and admit who you'd rather spend the most time with
That it isn't practically or emotionally possible to be stuck with someone 100% of the time is a given

And I have a hard time believing that people kid themselves their 'quality time' with their friends did not drop sharply the moment they became intimate with someone

Perhaps I'm in a different world, but the first thing I see neglected when people can get their itch scratced is friendship, which improves only somewhat after the initial romantic satisfaction has been filled
while before you spend 100% of your leasuretime with your 3 friends
once involved in a relationship, you are not gonna balance it in such a way that you spend 25% of that time on your partner and 75% on your 3 buddies
not even 50/50, more like 70%-80% on your partner, what's left on your friends

I am well aware that this "neglect" is a natural thing and isn't actually meant to devalue friendship by its definition
but it is by definitition not on the same level as love, yet people still cling to that 'golden' idea of loyalty/comraderie while not realising how easy they actually let it rust
It doesn't even involve the same level of guilt when neglecting friendship in comparison to love and is taken much more for granted
"Friendship is forever, they'll always be there when you need them"
Yup, just like a dog, and it's practical for them to be there if you need them, but I'd like to know is,
how people percieve friendship then when they DON'T need it?

As far as I can see, friendship is most valued when it has not been replaced yet by romance
Something also evident in how the animes for different agegroups are presented
they are not creating a certain setting out of thin air, but showing something already present that naturally progresses with age
In a war/combat anime (realistic setting) I have no doubt there would be much emphasis on the comraderie/brothers in arms-feeling
created under fire amongst death and suffering