View Single Post
Old 2006-02-01, 22:18   Link #1
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

The '-tan' culture in Japan

As the <Moe> culture grew into a Bishoujo code (I don't know since when), I remeber at a similar time the <Tan> culture came out. It is,simply replacing the 'Chan' word in Bishoujo characters.

Famous ones are 'MoeTan',where the Moe code invades(or was attempting to invade) English education. Yea,it was supposed to be an educational book,really. I bought it out of curiosity and it basically sucked. The sample sentences have manga and game references in it,well that's good but some sentences are really awkward and gramatically wrong.
However it was popular and MoeTan2 was released last summer. If anyone actually WANTS to learn English, seriously they wouldn't buy this. It kindda helped in drawing. The pictures are really cute.

And there was XP Tan, 98 Tan and ME Tans.. the Windows systems portrayed with bishoujos. Yea I can bear with that,they're actually quite cute.Althou quite a lot of times I imagine Bill Gates dressed up in all their costumes..ooh man.

Now there's Afganis-Tan, maybe a politically acclaimed(or so I call it) manga by Chimaki King.

Afganis-Tan(Afganistan), a little girl who is bullied by other kids(they're actually conturies such as the US) decides to stand up to them. But she has to go a long way cuz well, she's much of a clumsy girl and falls down and rolls a lot.
Til the site was closed when the author was caught using Winny(a Japanese P2P program.There's this program called the Gintama virus which hacks into your system,and takes screenshots of your desktop.) ,embarassed onself and closed down the site bbs, I remember it had a decent popularity. Well it kind of had a point between country relationships and politics,or so I've heard.My sister who's in Media Info Studies have read it and said it wasn't that bad.It didn't get a great deal of bashing,or maybe it's simply because it's not that well known in other countries.

Afganis-Tan not enough?Check THIS out.

The title of this book is called MARUKUSU-TAN, or yeah..you've guessed it: MARX TAN. And yes,it's about an all girl's school with all the communist/Marxist leaders in it. The girl in glasses is CARL MARX, and the girl behind her is FREDRICK ENGLES. ENGLES takes interest in MARX and yeah the shoujo-ai story goes on.
Of course, the book also features LENIN and TROTSKY. (CHE GUEVARA will come out soon enough I swear)I don't know if I can link to the info site..the book's actually an ERO-novel.Phew.
Is it just me, or did other people think or exclaim WTF? Enough is enough. I wonder what's going in the author's head.. And these people actually have their original faces. Well let's say Marx being bishoujo-nized is okay,but as an ero novel? Making out with other leaders? That's something to think about.. quite frankly I thought the <Moe> culture has gone too far this time.Or am I too sensitive?
And no..I don't think they're trying to teach history here..

Last edited by sukreih; 2006-02-02 at 08:28.
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote