View Single Post
Old 2007-04-21, 23:16   Link #314
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
I kind of like the telling of the story from the viewpoint of what is technically a minor character. Kyon is unimportant to the story, but certainly important to the narrative, since, well, he's the one dictating it. I have to admit that if Kyon turns out to be some sort of Special-Powered Person (in the conventional sense like the ESPers), I may be a bit disappointed.

Also, being that Kyon is a minor character, and also intellectually incurious, he's probably not likely to care much about the inner workings and mechanics of how everything is connected, unlike Koizumi. So we see the effects of whatever events are happening, but not their causes, at least until Yuki or Koizumi take the time to explain it to Kyon (and thus the reader).
Kyon a minor character? Unimportant to the story? Not only is he important to the story, he is central to the story. And that's not just my inner Kyonist talking (he doesn't do alot of talking). Everything in the story isn't just witnessed by him, it involves him, often prominently.

I know what you were getting at, but that just wasn't the way to say it. His character type is historically relegated to minor characters, or maybe the comic sidekick, but this series turns that on its ear.