View Single Post
Old 2007-09-21, 01:09   Link #114
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by todkapuz View Post
I'm trying to remember the last time a violent american show was replaced by a mild-mannered cooking show due to violence here in the states.... I vaguely recall something around 9/11... but then again almost all the stations were doing 24/hour news instead of anything realisitc ... hmm...
Well, as for 9/11, Cartoon Network stopped showing their broadcast of the original Gundam series (they later finished it in a marathon, but I didn't find out about that until too late), and they dropped one of the Cowboy Bebop episodes.

Overall though, this reminds me of the hysteria over the Pokemon "epilepsy" incident, which eventually created a media stir abroad and was misreported on frequently, one particularly odious American journalist claiming it the result of anime being "violent Japanese cartoons" or some such. That in turn mobilized a large outcry from upset US anime fans which got a lot of pro-anime media coverage in turn (and ironically helped spur publicity for the upcoming US release of the Pokemon anime...@_@).

It also has hints of the anti-otaku paranoia that resulted from both the Tsutomu Miyazaki incident as well as Aum Shinrikyu's gassing incident. I hope this doesn't get out of hand.