View Single Post
Old 2004-03-09, 14:05   Link #3
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
This show has good but not great production values. The characters are being filled in adequately but the scenes are kind of understated. Morisaki is kind of morose to go along with his thickheadedness; there isn't much to work with besides Hina's angst. There are only 3 episodes to this so it is unfair to expect too much, I guess.
Yeah, you're pretty much right. Hina is certainly the star of the show, but there's really not too much to work with. It's quite easy to tell that this is simply a reward for fans of the game - as a standalone project, it's not bad, but doesn't stick out either. It's still enjoyable enough, though, if you like the genre. The one thing that kind of annoys me the most in this show is the way they draw the characters - I realize it's supposed to look like they look in the illustrations from the game... but... I don't know, I just can't get used to it. It doesn't seem to quite match the animation style of the backgrounds and environments - it's as if they forced the animators to make the characters look as close to the game illustrations as possible, no matter what. As I said, though, it's still not bad.

I'm not sure that's totally unfair to have expectations, though, even though it's a short OVA based on a game. For example, I thought that the Mizuiro 2003 two-episode OVA, which is also based on a game, was excellent...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote