View Single Post
Old 2007-08-14, 12:32   Link #866
xPresagio

Finally reached the 17 chapter.

I have been reading your comments and theories in lurking mode, and would actually like to add yet another one that could wrap the questions:

In case it comes true:
Spoiler:

Just a thought.

Extra: The behavior of Karbo after being defeated didn't seem odd to me. At all. When he faces Balsa for the 1st time, he let us know -without any shade or doubt- that even since he was defeated, he has had only one thought: to destroy Balsa. He even said to have "fantasized" about it. And the reason is not that he lost, but rather, that he lost to someone that was using a "poor" objective such as protect someone else (that it was no warrior). He thanks to the gods for getting a new chance. And blatantly says, that if he were to fail once again, it would means total defeat, regardless if he kept practicing. Notice that for him, is not enough to physically kill Balsa. He wants to prove a point -that his motives are superior than those from her, but mostly, that him being defeated and not dying back then, was more due to cheap tricks. That there most have been another reason. That's why he is "trying" to level the ground by using a similar weapon. It's not a matter of a simple "pay back" or vengeance. He is putting his future at stake.

That's why when he hears the actual explanation of why she didn't kill him, he snaps. It wasn't about skills, or about some special, high purpose. She just didn't want to kill people. It would have been the same, if he were anyone else. -His existence, was effectively reduced to nothing.

Later, him rising and acting like that, remembered me to the way young German marines from the Bismarck behaved after it was sunk -back in 2nd WW: They were raised to believe that Hitler, the nazi, and ultimately the Germans, were superior beings. That no one could defeat them. They were even more special, because were staff of the most powerful and impressive ship of all History. Yet, when they faced total defeat, lying there, in the cold waters, it probably felt as if all their existence was just a facade. No longer relevant. It took several days, with strong chemics to bring them back from their almost zombi-like behaviour.

But at the end, the fact that he didn't die (even when Balsa directly says that was her purpose to kill him), it's probably associated to the notion of the "ultimate weapon". I'm not sure that it will be used to kill Chagum, though.

Last edited by xPresagio; 2007-08-14 at 13:10.
xPresagio is offline   Reply With Quote