View Single Post
Old 2010-02-21, 10:46   Link #6
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Okay, so firstly, thank you Narona for this thread. I think this thread is important for the well being of AS member.

Now, I will talk about something that, sadly, us occidental people forget too often : our spirit. The weel being of the spirit, our psychological well being is very important. Our spirit have an important influence on your body and so is our body with our spirit.

There are different method that oriental medecine provide and that are very good for your spirit. Here is some of them :

- Yoga
- Relaxation therapy (which teach you how to breath well )
- Meditation (which teach you how to not be the slave of your thought anymore and how to control it)

Before starting doing this on your own, you need first to see a professional that teach you how to do it well. It's very important because maube one of them is better for you than another and also maybe because you don't need to do all of them.
Exactly. That helps to feel well and better. I'll add, as a beauty advice , that doing things to get rid of stress is important. Stress has a bad effect on one's health. It can become oxidative for example. I guess because it can a bad effect on the liver. It's well know that many skin deseases are for example caused by stress, or at least aggravated. It's not good when a girl is pregnant. And of course, when you're stressed, you usually can't sleep that well.

Therefore, all that you mentionned can help to feel good, and to take care of your body (and mind)

When it comes to evacuate the stress, I'll add that you can mix that kind of things with trace elements therapy (ex: magnesium) & phytotherapy (ex: avena sativa)

While you're right that having a coach (or a member of your family) that teaches you to do it right, you can still do some exercices alone. A good thing is to buy a book (you can read it alone in a room trying some exercices. So no need to bringa computer with you that way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Thanks Narona. A lot of girls told me that Aikido is pretty good them for what it can offer in terms of fitness. Would you agree with that?
I'm not personally familiar with martial arts, but there are some risks that are the same for every martial, fighting, wrestling sports. Firstly you need to avoid any blow/stroke. It can have a bad effect on veins for example. But it's also dangerous for your chest. Any bump on your chest can lead to dangerous things like the emergence of nodule. Those nodules are usually not dangerous even if often mistaken as breast cancer till a look up. It's just hard when you touch your breast (it's inside the breast). But, there are cases when those nodules become malignant and evolve in cancer.

There is also the risk of damaging your hands and fingers. Just saying.

Therefore, I think it's better to avoid fighting/martial sports or to just practice some exercice linked to fitness/toning but to avoid any fight against opponent. Of course, girls can still use breasts protection, but there is stil a risk.

Secondly, martial, fighting and wrestling sports are not recommanded because it can cause bloodstream problems (mainly if the girl has already some bloodstream problems). At least, if the girl has already some bloodstream problems in the lower part of her body, then it's better to choose other kind of sports. But, as most doctors will tell you, it's still better for the bloodstream to do a sport that is not recommanded, on a regulary basis, than not doing any sport at all.

If you really want to practice that kind of sports other than in theory (you have people who attend those kind of clubs as amateur/hobby but hardly practice it themselves, even if there knowledge of those sports are excellent in theory), you can see with a doctor that will give you compression stockings that you can use when you practice those sports (usually also used for the girls who do Running but also care about the well being of their legs veins).

Of course, the nice point of practicing a martial art (aikido IIRC, is a lot based on movement of self defense using the force of your opponent) is that it could help you to defend youself when assaulted. Which can lead a girl to choose to practice it. But practicing it doesn't mean to not be careful.

As I said above, doing any sport is still better than not doing any sport at all, so if it works well for those girls (but be careful to not build up problems without realizing it, that's usually the case about bloodstream problems), that they are young (many problems like bloodstream problems or bones problems are aggravated along your life. The older you are, the most risk there is) and that they are careful when practicing it, then they can continue ^^ (but they should do a check up with a doctor once in a while. But that's true for any sport that you practice)

As a closure, people should stop to think that all the sportsmen and women that you see doing a professional sports are in excellent health. Usually, they put performance above their own well being. So you can see, for instance, judo champions becoming quite handicaped by veins problems when they become older, because of all those years spend practicing their sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
I have to disagree a bit on the bodybuilding thing. If you're toning up, wonderful. In order to become all veiny and gross looking you have to either do an insane amount of high weight lifting, or ingest steroids. Light weights with reps will simply give you a nice toned shape.

I prefer said shape in women; I took great joy in my biceps being so well defined back when I used to lift 60 lb servers everyday.

That being said the big bulky bodybuilding is a turnoff in either gender IMO
Kind of true. Actually, I included (in my mind) light bodybuilding in fitness/gym, rather than in bodybuilding that i rather see as building mass of muscles.

But a girl should be sure to do it right. For example, when you do lifting, a common error is to use onlu one mass hold in one hand. It put stress on one side of your body and can result in back problem. The good way of doing it is to use a weight in each of your hands (it has to have the exact same weight)
You probably already know that but I prefer to mention it.

Last warning, becareful of possible back problem. You have to stand perfectly straight to avoid any. Plus, be careful of bloodstream problem in your legs and thighs. So, it's good to avoid long lifting session and to massage your legs after a session OR to rest on your bed while being sure that you legs are put a bit in the air (it helps the blood to return to the heart). About that, a little advice to everybody. When you're sleeping on your back, put something under your mattress or bed under the part where your feet are supposed to be when you sleep. That way your feet will be higher than the rest of your body, helping your blood to not stay accumulated in the lower part of your body.

Quote:
I also drink a gallon of water a day, which helps keep my skin hydrated, and use high quality, holistic skin care products.
Drinking (lots of) water is very important. Not only to stay hydrated but because it helps to get rid of toxines.

But skin care products, that the person use given the kind of skin she/he has, are still a must. So yes, you do it right

Quote:
As for makeup, I've always hated the feel of foundation. Back in high school when I did stage makeup for drama, I had to deal with the heavy caked on stuff and detested it. I'll use a bit of powder to control the oiliness of my nose/forehead, and eye makeup (sometimes lip colour) and that's it. It feels gross to me to have layers on my skin, and I can't imagine it's healthy for it, either.
I think it depends a bit on what kind of foundation cream one's using. Some are made to avoid problems and/or even to prevent problems (nowadays there are cream that actually helps some people to keep their skin hydrated). But it's quite common to see young people choosing a cream that will do more damage to their face than the opposite (I don't know if you ever saw that, but it happened that i saw girls with irritated skin because of their bad choice of cream The sad thing is that they don't even suspect that it is the result of said cream)

Quote:
I'm paleskinned, of irish descent, so I have the beginnings of Rosacea, which is a reddish blotchy thing that happens, it almost looks like acne but it's not. For me, it's just reddish skin. Looks like I have blush on all the time :P They do make topical medications for it, if it's bad enough, but mine is not (yet). I feel the healthy diet and good hydration I practice helps keep it from worsening.
Have you ever tried some kind of side medecine that are said to help to reduce/prevent Rosacea. Such as :

- manganeze (trace element)
- hamamélis (phytotherapy)
- Jojoba oil.
- Vitamin E
- Clay face mask (to put before going sleeping)

I also remember that Red vine Tea (using red vine leaf) are good against that.

There are more I think, but I don't remember them right now.

Quote:
I also avoid the sun like the plague
SAME.

Last edited by Narona; 2010-02-21 at 10:57.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote