View Single Post
Old 2010-11-01, 08:45   Link #95
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
Excellent episode. I really do like how they're tackling the image issue anime otaku have and how people have been misled about them and their hobby by the media at several levels. Kyousuke could stand to find some tactics that don't make him out to be a raging pervert, but at least Ayase is plenty perceptive enough to realize he was lying there at the end. 9/10 for me.

Looks like Manami finally gets some screen time again next episode. Though I can't help but wonder how Kirino's issues will interfere with any progress between Kyousuke and Neighbor-girl.
Agreed... otaku subculture certainly does have "societal integration" challenges but the media in Japan basically act as "witch burning mob instigators" by reinforcing bullshit memes to maximize misplaced fear and anxiety. Its like the nonsense D&D "satanism" BS pulled in the 80s by wackjob 'religious nuts' who made a lot of money scaring parents, supplemented with the media alarm (anyone ever see that piece of tv movie garbage called "Mazes and Monsters" starring Tom Hanks?) only multiplied 100 times. Today you can watch the media in the US or Japan completely miss the boat on subcultures or fads (for which you either conclude they are malicious or utterly clueless idiots but either way they scare you into watching through the commercial breaks).

Japanese society is historically quite intolerant of the 'different' ... which is really bizarre if you watch the absurd fads the 'mainstream' latches onto there.