View Single Post
Old 2009-06-06, 19:49   Link #5055
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Changing a topic title on the fly just to quash the apparent majority opinion of what the topic is about is a start up a slippery slope. But, since we do already have a catch-all "Future Episode Synopses/Series Predictions/General Speculation" topic that can technically accomodate "true" second season discussion, I will limit my own "second season" discussion in this topic, but I do so under duress...
There is no "slippery slope" here. This thread has a chronic problem with deciding what its topic is. For years it has been a sort of generic catch-all for rumours and speculation about the next season of Haruhi, that also happened to encompass a ton of novel spoilers and off-topic tangents. And this, as you point out, despite the fact that there were already other threads that would have been more on-topic for those sorts of conversations. Now that we do in fact have a second season of the show after a fashion, the initial news that resulted in the creation of this thread has come to pass. Just because they happened to have integrated the new content into a re-airing does not mean that this is not what the topic was original referring to. Playing this game of "this isn't really the second season because they're airing it along side the first" is a game of semantics that just allows people to continue to take this topic wherever they damn well please. Don't you think that outsiders who would have come to this forum would have assumed a "second season" thread to in fact refer to the current new episodes, especially given that almost all the files released so far call it "Second Season"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Might as well go all the way, though. If you would, please do your mod thing and move all the previous "29+" discussion from here to that topic. I would hate to have to cross-post and violate the forum rules. (just the actual S2 discussion—keep the posts, like this one, that discuss the on-topicness, so that future readers will be confused and we can farm lulz from them ^_^)
Your sarcasm is not lost on me. (And incidentally, it is not against any forum rule to cross-quote.)

You're right that this thread has too many topics and trying to re-organize it while continuing the thread under a new banner is likely a futile effort. So let's call a spade a spade and start over. I will move the 29+ discussion to the future episode threads as you discussed, create a new thread for the 2009 Re-Launch, and lock this thread as "Second Season Speculation". Now that a second season of a sort has come to pass, the topic here can now diverge in the two separate directions: either to talk about the 2009 re-launch (rumoured episodes 15-28, so to speak), OR to talk in general about possible future episodes in the Future Episode speculation thread. This thread has had a long and fruitful life covering all the developments that got us to this point, so I think there's no harm done in putting it out to pasture.

I trust that this solution will be more equitable to both sides of the argument. Feel free to let me know if you have any concerns (but I'd ask that you give it a bit of time to get used to the new setup first).

Edit: Migration of that conversation thread is complete. Doing a bit of cleanup here.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-06-06 at 20:07. Reason: migration note