View Single Post
Old 2004-04-01, 16:28   Link #16
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briareos
For me the question of this thread should read, "Are there any anime with deep plots that needlessly flaunt sexuality or nudity?" Even that question begs for interpretation. My point is not that the question was vague, or poorly stated, but that there will be a lot of disagreement on what the answers of the question are.
I think the most generally description/definition for ecchi in anime is more or less the following:

Ecchi anime are anime in which erotic/nude scenes are shown at times or places where they are completely unnecesarry for the story and this in large amounts. Most often this nudity/erotic scenery is used in a comedy sense and not in an arousing sense (which would be hentai)

To clarify :

erotic / nude scenes : obviously just about any panty shot scene is a part of this (if a girl tumbles you can easilly show this without panty showing), also scenes where clothes get ripped off for no apparent reason (Ikkitousen anyone ), anime in which every girl has excessive large breasts AND they get alot of camera attention, girls dressed in very exotic clothing : examples here would be just about any bath scene in Love Hina, Ikkitousen combat scenes, Aoi Yori Aoshi (all women there are "well-shaped" and the carema positions tend to accentify this)

on the other hand Da Capo would not qualify since (as far as I can remember) it has 1 panty shot which is shown in a flash, but this one has a purpose, both Nemu and her brother are crawling in a corridor and this is to help explain why she doesn't wanna crawl back first ... Also anime in which all woman are drawn with large breasts but WITHOUT getting camera attention (in essence it is the drawing style) aren't really ecchi (I realise in this occasion the line between ecchi-non-ecchi is rather thin) : for example : Scrapped Princess: large breasts but no camera attention

unneccesary : I think this is rather obvious, sometimes nudity can be used to explain a certain situation but at other times it's just nudity for the sake of nudity. Basically the question is does the shown nudity/erotic scene add to the story or explain a situation or not ...
The best examples here are KGNE : there are a few nude scenes but they are all part of the story
Spoiler:

Another example is the beforementioned saikano
Spoiler:

Unnecesarry nudity is what we get in ikkitousen, Ai Yori Aoshi (the camera in this series ALWAYS seems to facus on the girls breasts and none of them seem to have a cup smaller than E at least ) and so on ...

large amounts: Since just about every anime series has a bath or seatrip episode this is one where we can expect to see these scenes. While ONE episode can be considered ecchi, if it only happens here or on a few rare occasions in the series that we ge unneeded nudity/erotic scene the series itself isn't ecchi (but then again where exactly do we draw the line)
In this respect Da Capo ain't ecchi it has a few bath scenes and skimpy bikini's but only a couple of times, while love Hina for example has nothing but bath scenes

comedy sense: Almost always the shown nudity/erotic scene wants to create a funny situation (seeing as 90% of them are followed by insane huge nosebleeds), personally i think the moment the situation tries to get you aroused we can talk about having a hentai show.

Enough of my rants, please feel free to comment on my definition of ecchi. I think under the applied definition we can say

Ecchi : Love Hina, Ikkitousen, Chobits, Aoi Yori Aoshi, Daphne in the Brilliant Blue, Yumeria (mostly erotic scenes and very suggestive scenes rather than actual nudity), Onegai Twins
Not Ecchi : KGNE, Da Capo, Saikano, Evangelion