Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-19, 06:36   Link #1128
Blaat

What we're missing in this entire debate is knowing whether or not Taichi one syllable advantage is significant enough to win "luck of the draw" situation and unless a karuta prof is going to post here (never going to happen) or if one of us is going to ask this question on a Japanese karuta forum (never going to happen due to the huge language barrier) this debate we'll be going in circles.
The only thing we do know is that going on the offence during "luck of the draw" is not a common tactic. Retro, the newbies and Nishida's reaction confirms this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
I think the loss is so painful to Taichi just since he thinks he could have won, and just wasn't able to. If it was just luck, had they decided the last card by a coin flip, say, then he could shrug it off, as luck of the draw, as something that had nothing to do with him. But that's not how he acts. I don't think Taichi's behavior fits your argument.
I don't think a "luck of the draw" is something you can shrug off (unless it's a training match) as Retro-kun said it best "But still... After all they have been through... the winner will be determined by luck? They worked so hard to get here"
And this is why Taichi goes on the offence, he want to create something out of his one syllable advantage (which is basically nothing) he doesn't want to lose by luck because after working so hard losing by luck will hurt the most.

And while at the end of the episode Taichi doesn't believe he lost by luck, he wasn't talking about the luck of the draw situation: "It's my fault for not winning before it got to that point"
Let's be honest here he's right, if Taichi was a better player than Nishida then Taichi would have won by 2 or more cards but what Taichi forgets (or doesn't want to think about) is that the opposite is also true: if Nishida was the better player then Taichi would have lost by 2 or more cards. So basically he didn't lose by luck (because he wasn't better than his opponent) but at the same time he did lose by luck (he wasn't worse than his opponent so the winner had to be decided by luck of the draw) but telling yourself the former is true is a lot easier than the latter.