View Single Post
Old 2012-02-28, 07:02   Link #176
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

This part is a bit iffy, and class 3 is definitely in the center for the phenomenon, but we have to remember that said part was Mei's (not even the librarian's) speculation - it seems likely at this point, but we can't be sure that's the actual trigger for the phenomenon. I don't have a clear suggestion regarding what else it might be at this time, but I know one thing for sure - the countermeasure only works half the time, and they have no idea why.

We can't pretend that this piece of information doesn't exist, so we have to confront the question it poses (and the possible implications): why does ignoring someone within class 3 only work sometimes?

And the only answer that I can come up with is: the Another didn't directly exist in class 3 to begin with during said year, thus ignoring someone from the class had no effect.

What we do know about the phenomenon is that affects people within 2 degrees of separation from someone who is part of class 3, which IIRC mirrors the circumstances surrounding the death of original Misaki - he and his family members, up to two degrees, were lost when their house burned down.

Now let's take that trail of thought further: the class pretended that only Misaki still exists, yet the phenomenon saw fit to involve people up to two degrees of separation anyway. Why ?

The lives of Misaki and his family were claimed by a single incident, thus I speculate this: denying the death of Misaki denied the effect of said incident as a whole, thus denying the death of Misaki's family by proxy. Misaki and his family exist as one in this equation - they were all claimed by the same fire, so pretending part of it didn't happen doesn't work. You either acknowledge the tragedy as a whole, or you don't.

Thus we have the reason why family members of those connected to class 3 are in danger as well - because that's what happened in the incident that started all this. Not only was Misaki's death denied, but that of his family as well, up to two degrees of separation, by association.

With that in mind, is it really safe to claim that someone from class 3 specifically is the Another ? As opposed to someone within the same bloodline range in regards to class 3 whose death was originally denied ?

Given that the countermeasure only works 50% of the time, I'd say the answer is evidently "no". And this is exactly the trap the librarian has fallen in to - so focused on class 3 specifically, that he can only helplessly shrug and admit of having no idea why it doesn't work when it doesn't. Rather than repeating the same mistake and being over-focused on class 3 exclusively, it's important for us to look at the things he might have overlooked in the tunnel-visioned focus on it.