View Single Post
Old 2013-02-09, 18:23   Link #30
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
as long as people have to follow such a precise way for doing things (which I know is good for automation...
With the exception of the best character / opening theme categories (which were introduced precisely because we could check them) the format is actually the same as in other years. We don't really advertise it but we can actually parse every piece of nonsense posting out there (that's not troll level bad), you don't actually have to follow the format exactly; all the variants we have ever seen used previous to the automation are supported, we just don't turn it all on until we need to do final counts; showing more strict errors in formatting helps deter mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
but at this level of participation, you could just count it by hand in an hour anyway).
From experience in the contest from 2 years ago (when Haak took over), it's more like an hour for 1 category and the likelyhood of errors is quite high (we had several people cross count to check for errors). With the scripted method it's quite low, and we don't have to manually sort though all the series aliases and other nonsense, with the exception of corner cases such as a character being mentioned by some obscure nickname (we had I think 1 or 2 this year, not a big deal).

Basically the logistics of counting so many is a nightmare, too much for any sane person to do alone (Ansalem at the time) so at least with this method, with it being a press of a button, the show will go on fairly easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I wonder if there's any way we could have this work like voting in ISML?

In other words, just select a radio button per selection. Very quick and easy.
Making that sort of site is easy. The problem is, like I told Seiji when he mentioned it, animesuki would have to provide an open authentication server so that we can (securely) assert: (a) people are members of the site, (b) every member gets only 1 vote (c) no funny business is happening (people are creating multiple accounts with no posts), etc.

(I do like reading people's thoughts on things though, that come along with the votes, especially in nominations)