View Single Post
Old 2011-10-08, 05:36   Link #273
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Well despite what people think, Shana was never JC Staff's biggest seller anyway- not by a long shot
Well, I was actually referring to the novels. The popularity of the series isn't what it used to be, which might affect the hype amongst anime viewers and collectors.

And no, it wasn't because of Shana II. IIRC, popularity grew after S2 but attention eventually shifted to newer titles. Index is somewhat notable in that it was published, promoted, and adapted by the same companies (ASCII Media Works, Geneon, J.C.STAFF) - in terms of timing, its rise in popularity coincided with Shana's decline, although I can't say if there's any causative relationship.

Anyway, I think Shana is more noted for the merchandising blitz and rise in source popularity. A 10k seller on DVD coupled with merchandising/music/source material success is more valuable to the financiers than a stronger DVD hit that somehow fails to ignite the latter (it's also how ZnT was successful.....people tend to write the series off because of unexceptional DVD numbers, but it was a huge hit through all seasons once you consider the overall commercial result).