View Single Post
Old 2008-10-19, 05:45   Link #133
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eczema View Post
My main gripe was that you said the series was "butchered" already only after 2 episodes, due to some absent scenes or missed opportunities for character development. That's a bit of a stretch don't you think?

And my original comments, which you didn't address either, pertaining to adaptations still stands. If you wanted it to be exactly like the manga/drama, why not just read/watch them again? Is it so wrong for the anime do take a different direction?
I think we're beginning experience deja vu, for the few people who have seen both the two vastly different works that Kon had directed. Some similarities to behold here.

Firstly, the veterans whom had experienced original incarnation are screaming butchery due to the lack of inclusion of a few relatively nuanced, but essential bits to the narrative, and character buildup.

Secondly, I'm beginning to see that she(Kon) had prioritised certain aspects of the story far more than anything else(the horror for Higurashi, and the character comedy for Paris-Hen)during production, thereby leaving little inconsistencies here and there. As a result, whatever she concentrates on are masterfully done, but whatever's out of focus gets the short end of the stick.

How does this apply here? New viewers who don't have the source material in view, do not even know that the omitted material existed to begin with, and so are able to fully enjoy whatever's left, while the veterans are left to grit their teeth and hope to miss the next careless exclusion that the director makes. It took Ryukishi07 to join the creative team in order to be able to rectify that big error (from the veteran's POV) the first time, but with Ninomiya in maternity leave right now, I guess it's kind of expected for this one.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote