View Single Post
Old 2013-01-24, 05:53   Link #25
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Why do most Japanese cartoons have lip flapping instead of actual lip animation? Like, why do they animate the scenes before recording voices??? I never understood this, and it's especially jarring to see next to otherwise gorgeous fight and hair animation.

Why so lazy?
A lot of it comes down to the limitations of early-day anime production where you'd have just a handful of people working on an entire show. This led to all sorts of labor-saving shortcuts and give anime a lot of its distinctive style (most notably the jankiness and structure of body animation).

That these same techniques are still being used are a factor of inertia, cost-cutting and style. And that most of the target audience doesn't really mind.

Personally, I sort of like the idea of recording voices after the animation. In the other kind of recording will often record each voice actor individually and just mix them together. In anime, all the voice actors of a particular scene will record their lines in the recording studio at the same time, so there's a bit of playing off of other people's performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Just look at Little Busters recently. Whatever animation there is is usually decent or above average, but I see a great overuse of slow camera panning, lazy stills, and cheap tricks to simulate movement with minimal frames. None of those I particularly mind, but Little Busters just used them too much and at inappropriate moments.
Can any discussion of lazy animation be complete without mentioning SHAFT? They actually released an episode of Tsukuyomi Moonphase so incomplete that half the episode wasn't animated. It was one of the most awful viewing experiences ever. And then there's all of the notorious cost-cutting shortcuts they use. The only Sasami-san I've watched is the OP - did they ever fix it, or was that the actual finished product?