View Single Post
Old 2012-09-20, 00:53   Link #11
justsomeguy

Absolutely beautiful and surprisingly subtle show. Admittedly, I found the mysteries and pacing to be a bit lame and boring at times, especially the first two episodes where I found myself wondering if KyoAni was trying to be Shaft, but I'm beyond happy that I stuck with this show.

I loved how the character development was gradual and came about with realistic experience (rather than combat or paranormal phenomena as in most other shows). Oreki's growth from lazy guy who didn't give a f--- about anything to somebody who wouldn't reject an opportunity to show his talents, open to new experiences, and in love with Eru was a very refreshing change from the typical male protagonists who barely change and have random girls and a string of events hoisted on them.
Then there was Satoshi, who after seemingly being happy in a support role had to come to terms with his own limitations and jealousy that ended his ambitious past, which culminated in his implied effort to begin his own growth after his idiotic behavior on Valentine's Day.
Oddly enough the girls get relatively less focus compared to other shows. Chitanda seems to fill the moe role and doesn't really change much throughout the show, but different facets of her and her life are slowly revealed. As her conversation with Oreki in the last episode implies, her life had been set, she's effectively already fully developed.
As for Mayaka, she seems to serve mostly as a friendly antagonist (as opposed to the manipulative Irisu), her constant criticism of Oreki forcing him to focus his thoughts, and her pursuit of Satoshi forcing him to confront his own insecurity. It would have been nicer to see just a bit more of the bitching and drama her personality seems to have gotten her into, because there's an avenue for her growth as a person.

The theme about expectations and effort vs talent vs reality, which I didn't actually get until the amazing and emotional episode 17, was what nailed this show in my heart. It was the underlying thing that drove the characters' behaviors, and glued the whole show together for me. Can't remember the last time there was an actual mature and relevant theme like that.

10/10. It's not flawless, but I love it more than many other shows in years. Now just to wait for the second season that will in all probability never be made.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC