View Single Post
Old 2010-12-20, 04:30   Link #77
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
He denies that he is concerned about her acting nice, per se. He probably wants to know what's causing it, so that whatever it is, they can keep it up, as I wrote before.
No, Saori specifically says "Well, it's natural for you to be concerned about your sister" (no reference to her acting nice or this specific situation). He blushes, and then fervently denies it. It's a denial of caring for her, not related to this particular concern. This is, in fact, very typical "tsundere" behaviour (and not unlike the behaviour their dad exhibits); I'd say it runs in the family.

Quote:
He said "Go. Do what you want!" (i.e. Only do what you truly want to do. If that's go to America, then do it! If that's stay with mom, dad, and me, then do that.)

He was perfectly honest in telling her to "Do what she wants". Don't play games anymore, in other words. Just make honest choices based on sincere feelings and goals.
No, that's not the meaning or intonation of what's said. If it were, why do you think Kirino would be so upset? Her reaction was immediate anger after he said the second sentence. If it were that meaning of "do what you want", it would have been 勝手にしろ and wouldn't have needed the "go" on the front end. He's not giving up and telling her to make her own decision by any means. I am wondering if there's perhaps a better translation for what he said, because your reading of it has changed the insinuation.

Edit: I am thinking that what he's saying here is 行けよ!清々するは!, which is more like "Go on! I'll feel better (relieved) when you do!"... which would definitely explain Kirino's reaction. The problem is that sentence lacks a clear subject, so if you just take it on its own you could take it as "Do what makes you feel better" (or "Do as you like"), but that doesn't make sense in context of what else is going on. We'll have to wait for other translations to see how they render it, but I think the tone and reaction tell the story.

Quote:
Edit: If pride was that big an issue for either of them, Kirino would not have done what she did in Episode 11, and Kyousuke would not have broke down into tears over it and patted her on the head.
Did you not notice how much work it took to break down Kirino's pride? It took a whole ton of anger, prodding, time running out, and the threat of him leaving for her to finally let go. And he was so taken aback by the "ambush" that he broke down because he wasn't expecting her to be grateful -- he was doing it out of a sense of duty and had long since given up on thanks. Once the wall was down, sure, he was able to reciprocate. But that doesn't mean he's all of a sudden going to be able to admit that he loves her any more than she can admit that she loves him.

All in all, I'm not quite buying the "he's fed up with her tsuntsun behaviour and wants her to be nice to him" theory. It's a nice theory, but I don't think it totally reflects what happened in this episode, and I don't think that's why he was happy at the end. Then again, this is an "alternate ending", so perhaps we shouldn't pass too many judgements on this point yet.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2010-12-20 at 04:59.