View Single Post
Old 2010-11-01, 07:00   Link #79
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
This may be a bit provocative, but there are some buzzwords flying around with regards to Ayase which I consider questionable or wrong. Let's see if we can get a proper discussion going.

1) Ayase is a Yandere!

This is popular and AFAIK even on a wiki, but IMHO fairly off the mark. Being a Yandere requires two things: A fanatical devotion to someone who you're convinced you're destined to be with (that's already questionable - fanatical devotion yes, but destined to be with? not sure), and a violent-dangerous reaction towards the object of desire when it becomes evident that this devotion isn't going to be reciprocated. Which is a flat-out no. All that Ayase did was severing her ties and walking away in pain. No violence, no threats.
If your characterization of a yandere were correct, Kaede from Shuffle wouldn't be Yandere because she attacked Aya and not Rin-kun. I am not saying she is absolutely a yandere, but I don't think your quite right about the yandere thing. From MAL yandere club:

Yandere (ヤンデレ) is a Japanese term for a personality that is initially extremely loving and gentle, then at one point becomes deranged or psychotic, often brutally so. Yandere is a combination of the two words yanderu (病んでる), meaning to be sick, and deredere (デレデレ), which is defined as exhausted or lovestruck.

Term of Yangire:
In order to keep the original definition intact, another term has arisen to describe girls who exhibit yandere traits but do not fit the true definition of what a yanderekko entails. This term, known as yangire (ヤンギレ), refers to characters who snap suddenly out of jealousy, irritation or something similar. Yangire is a combination of the two words yanderu (病んでる), meaning to be sick, and kire or gire (切れ), meaning to cut, slice, or "to snap". This behavior is different from that of a yandere character in regard to the motivation that sparked the change in the character. The yanderekko is motivated through her love for the male protagonist, while a yangire character is motivated through other characters and will not be connected with emotions of love or attraction.