View Single Post
Old 2006-01-22, 13:55   Link #16
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakult
...sometimes I think about surgeons and their huge pay and think "Hmm... maybe I should think again..." o_o This site says that they're the #1 in salary which makes me rethink my interests... but do I really want to open corpes? I think I'd end up barfing on the patient x_x

And of course, this all comes with a hell of alot of study! (:
That website doesn't factor in malpractice premiums for medical doctors, I hope you know. I'm studying to become a FP, and in NY state, I expect my income to be roughly 60k after malpractice and taxes.

My two cents... do what you enjoy... and do your homework on what the job really pays and what it's tradeoff is. Just letting you guys know, you don't necessarily need a masters/doctorate degree to make $100k or more, there are several blue collar jobs that make a heck alot of money. NYC, I know that tunnel construction workers make $100k/yr starting salary (one of NYC's most dangerous jobs though). Nassau county police officers (outside of NYC), they make $90-120k after 5yrs on the force, 55k start. Nassau teachers in the affluent school districts make roughly $75-100k. Some stage hands in the Met Opera house makes $100-300k. If you're really gutsy, you can work as a deck crew for the Alaskan king crab season. That's the most dangerous job in the world, but pays $80-100k in 1 week.
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote