View Single Post
Old 2012-03-16, 11:04   Link #55
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
For sheer style and pizazz alone, Guilty Crown is almost unparalleled amongst TV anime shows. And this isn't simply a function of high production values alone, although that is certainly a part of it.

Guilty Crown's overall aesthetics is also a big part of it. The character designs, the military uniforms, the plug-suits, the mecha designs, the Void designs, and now Mana's latest appearance (more on that later) are all wondrously cool, colorful, crisp. They're also often sleek and sexy without seeming obnoxiously in-your-face. There's also a vague realism to it all that just makes it come across that much better, imo.

Then there's Guilty Crown's BGM, which is often good, and was truly top-notch in this episode.

Guilty Crown has a superb sense of style and modern charm. With its conclusion now only a week away, this is something that should be said.

And, in its 2nd half at least, Guilty Crown is usually interesting. As I wrote last week, the overall plot concept behind this anime is probably very good, if not excellent. Also, I've really come to like the Apocalypse Virus/Void concept and plot devices, and how they're been utilized to their maximum effectiveness by this anime. They're really helped to craft a nice and distinct identity for this show.

But (and I'm sure everybody reading this figured that a 'but' was coming ) I've never seen an anime show that would have benefited more from a good, strong editor than this one would have. That's Guilty Crown's chief weakness, a frequent lack of attention to detail that leaves things feeling rushed and/or unexplained.

In this episode, the primary victim of this is Yuu and Da'ath. Given the important of Yuu's role in this episode, his character - and the nature of Da'ath - probably should have been explained better. It does take away a bit from the emotional impact of an otherwise excellent penultimate fight scene between Shu and Yuu (complete with some of the best OST music I've heard in anime).

Still, if the viewer is willing to look past some logical inconsistencies, possible plot holes, and general all-around "ass-pulls", there's a lot to like in this anime. It has simply superb directing, as important shots are framed excellently and typically with ideal composition. Examples of this abound in this episode, such as the well-timed close face-up shots on Inori, Ayase, Tsugumi, Daryl, Shu, and Yuu during key scenes. This show has a keen sense of dramatic timing, and of the art of holding the viewer in suspense. There's a thrilling intensity to many scenes that paves the way for the picture perfect synthesis of action and drama, fitting given how voids are now being synthesized to form ever more bold and impressive-looking weapons.

It's a shame that Guilty Crown isn't wrote a bit more tightly, because almost everything else about this anime comes across very well, imo.

One such thing in this episode is Mana's character design. She's basically designed like a dark/pink magical girl, perhaps the one and only anime genre this anime had yet to borrow off from. With Mana now looking like a gorgeous dark/pink magical girl, this anime has put the finishing touches on its awesome anime aesthetics. GC is consistently a treat for the eyes.

Is it rushed? Yes, and it can be pretty sloppy in places.

But given how good it is in other areas, it's hard for me to care.

8/10 for Episode 21. I eagerly await the finale.
simply perfect my exact thoughts. I found myself more often than not thinking "what was the editor doing here" "how could the editor not see this scene was weak why would he not rework it." Why would he rush an important scene yet drag a topic on for 2 or 3 episodes that didnt actually mean a lot to the main plot.

Guilty Crowns potential was huge but sheer lack of vision and laziness towards the finer details eats away at it. Causing it to go from a potential epic series to a somewhat good series.