View Single Post
Old 2012-01-10, 01:01   Link #206
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Rough Sketch

The promotional art for Another immediately drew me inside the world of the novel for the upcoming anime, and what was my surprise that I recently found out that the novels were written by the husband to Fuyumi Ono, author to the Ghost Hunt and The Twelve Kingdoms novels.

My reactions for the first episode were just simply impressive because the narrative and the storyline clearly exploit the ghost story elements, and the visual elements add strongly to both the sense of suspense and lingering dread.

For example, we have:
1. A seemingly normal, countryside town far away from the big cities. But, even at day, it looks like a gloomy ghost town because hardly I could see any living soul outside their homes.

2. The archetypal Japanese middle-school (or high-school) compound facility host to long and foreboding hallways and creepy classrooms.

3. The background music denotes an effective feeling of madness and ethereal haunting.

4. The fact that save for Kouichi, everyone else and even the students behave with bizarre mannerisms when questioned or asking questions; there's a cat in the bag, as they're explicitly hiding something from Kouichi.

5. Last, but not least, Mei who is another quintessential embodiment of the supernatural in flesh. Properly dressed in her school uniform, abnormal white skin, black pearl hair, a ruby-blood right eye, and a sinister patch that covers her left eye.

Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote