View Single Post
Old 2013-01-25, 14:47   Link #68
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpower View Post
It's interesting how a lot of posters used the street murder scene as an example of the failures of the Sybil system, as I felt the opposite. After recovering from the scene's shock, I felt that the scene, while brutal, actually highlights the benefits of the system.
Actually wouldn't you say it's both? In one case yes it shows that people are so not use to crime that seeing it happen in the middle of the street they cannot even realize what is happening. That actually does show the system is working to a degree because crime is just not part of these people's lives.

The absence of crime is a benefit of the system.

However what that scene also shows is a desensitized public. It's great that people no longer worry about crime but being completely desensitized to danger is not a good thing either.

This is a bit of an extreme example but it reminds me of people who can't feel pain. That sounds wonderful but as we know if you can't feel pain and you get hurt you might not realize how much danger you are in.

Not living in constant fear and not being afraid or being able to react when you need to are two very different things.