View Single Post
Old 2007-05-08, 07:21   Link #72
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think Aya's singing is great.... I just didn't think her "great voice" really fit the Kona character. "raucous and energetic" just seems to fit Kona better. Obviously, its not going to make or break the show for me and its really been my *only* complaint about the first 4 episodes.

The basic problem is I don't view the end segment as a traditional ED at all. If it was, I'd be fine with them singing Gaelic much less in 'best voice'. The segment, however, is constructed as an "in character" moment and I just didn't think the voice change fit the character very well. Aya portrays Kona so that Kona's growly voice comes out when she's passionate about something. I did like the way she uttered "fumoffu" ...

I thought the portrayal of Kagami singing was precious: it sounded like earnest brassiness being suddenly a bit unsure and wavering.
Perfect for the character, whether or not that's the VA's 'best voice' (加藤 英美里, Katō Emiri).
My opinion is that Aya's (and Emiri's) rendition of the songs in the ED were appropriate for the songs being sung.
Quote:
"Singing anime songs is all about staying true to the original song." --Konata's reply to Miyuki in ep. 4 (translation by a.f.k.)
The 3 songs that Aya sings "genki" are songs not to be taken seriously. Come on, "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA"? The song begs to be sung at full tilt, in-character or not (lyrics). Sorega Ai Deshou on the other hand, is a wholly different kind of song (lyrics). And IMO, Aya doesn't sing it in her "great voice" entirely. I get the vibe that she's using a "karaoke voice", imitating Mikuni Shimokawa's performance (as implied by Kagami). Although I would love to hear Sorega Ai Deshou sung with Aya's Kona-chan voice.

Last edited by Willen; 2007-05-08 at 07:33. Reason: added "quotation marks" to a quote