View Single Post
Old 2013-04-14, 02:32   Link #429
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

The thing about Unicorn is that...

A.) It's intended more for people who have actually seen and know about the past Universal Century-era Gundam series' (at least the basic ones; Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, and ZZ Gundam) and the Char's Counterattack OVA movie to be able to understand the gist of what's going on, much less to be able to know about various MS, what they're based on, and so on.

B.) Like 0080 and The 08th MS Team OVAs (and unlike around half the AU series'), the focus is just as much, if not more about the various characters and the many gray areas within conflict and war, and about points of view, than it is about (flashy) Mobile Suit battles, so to those who began with the AUs (like many in the US started with Gundam Wing from Cartoon Network, so tend to correlate "Gundam" to its standards) and/or just like them better, then such things will definitely come off as boring to them because it will feel a lot slower.

Around half of the AU series' don't put nearly as much emphasis on their plot and character development as they do on flashy/one-sided/etc Mobile Suit battles, especially when "Gundam"-style MS are involved.

Wing: Plot and characters were pretty bland to me and, like SEED/SEED Destiny, huge plot armor. I actually liked Relena earlier on BEFORE the whole pacifist attitude came on (then she became really boring), and out of all the Gundam pilots, the only one I slightly cared about was Quatre, but even then, we only got pretty minimal info on his family and such. In the end, I couldn't find myself really caring if any of the primary main characters died.

I found myself liking the secondary main characters like Noin and Sally Po more than the primary main characters.

SEED: It was okay in the first half, but after Kira got the Freedom...yeah...

00: As said, I liked Season 1. Despite MS battles being quite one-sided, Setsuna being similar to Heero in coming off like a drone, and them all coming off extremely "pretty" (the male and females), and such It felt more like SEED/SEED Destiny, but with actual consequences to their interventions (something The 08th MS Team had), and they soon started having more and more difficulties with opponents and so on. But Season 2 and the movie didn't feel nearly as good to me.

AGE: I actually liked the first 2/3 of it; Flit and Asemu's Arcs. But when it started getting into Kio's Arc and he became pretty much a Kira clone coupled with pretty big plotholes, wasted characters who ultimately served no other purpose than make Kio look more right, and so on, it just went down the tubes very quickly.

G: I won't lie. I actually like and enjoyed G Gundam. Sure, it was really over the top, cheesy, etc at various parts, but I still enjoyed the different plot and its twists, the character development, the Mobile Fighter designs (as whacky as some were), and so on. The only issue I really had was later on, when Domon came off pretty Gary Stu against the other Shuffle Alliance members during the semi-finals of the Gundam Fight; somehow, in 1 night after being shown them, magically coming up (and mastering) moves that perfectly countered the brand new moves the other members developed through their own hard training.

X: I only wished it wasn't cut down to 39 episodes. Otherwise, I actually liked it. It felt like a nice alternative spin on Mobile Suit Gundam in ways.

Turn A: Again, I liked this series with its plot and character development. A few homages to older series' and such. Despite the Turn A being so freaking OP compared to ALL other Gundams (and I don't mind the mustache that much either), they still managed to make the Mobile Suit battles pretty balanced, even if it's solely due to the fact that everyone knew little to nothing about it or its abilities.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote