Thread: Licensed Kimi ni Todoke Second Season
View Single Post
Old 2011-01-02, 15:59   Link #35
Coruja

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcanclaw View Post
I checked out the manga... but I'm not really a fan of the dynamic between the two main characters. Sawako is really cute, but I'm a bit annoyed at how socially perfect Kazehaya is. I feel like the story is pushing Sawako to become "normal" by developing a relationship with someone like Kazehaya.

She seems to be becoming less and less of a unique character as the series continues, like the only way to be happy is to be normal. Given the importance of individuality and alternative lifestyles in America, I'm not so sure how well this story would do overseas (except, of course, with American anime fans who want to date a perfect Japanese guy like Kazehaya, but he seems boring to me).
Hmm... To be honest I don't think Kazehaya is perfect or boring at all... I find him to be quite charming. I wish I had my own Kazehaya. He just happens to be a good guy, while most shoujo lead males have got that "bad boy" coldness about them. Bad boys are overrated anyway (in my opinion), and there must be a reason why Kazehaya is by far the most popular shoujo male right now. I do think American anime fans are into guys like him. Or maybe not, I'm not sure since I am European, but I do frequent some shoujo communities and Kazehaya has got a lot of fans (more than pretty much all the shoujo leads combined). I also remember that Yuu from Marmalade Boy was insanely popular a decade or so ago, and he's the archetype of the "perfect" guy.
Coruja is offline   Reply With Quote