View Single Post
Old 2011-02-09, 02:06   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
For some reason I have a deja vu on this thread. But I don't want to waste my time searching to necromance, and this seems to focus on a single cliche per post instead of a list, so:

What is it? Anime trying for original ideas.

No seriously? Well, of course we want to change things up a bit, but the new "original" is more "outrageous," such as magical girls fighting with chainsaws. Original, huh?

Worst Offenders: No specific anime example, but girls with way too interesting weapons in general. One example that comes to mind is "Go go Rubber Duckies!" (and some of you will know what I'm talking about).

Notable Exceptions: Haruna (Zombie desu wa), Gunslinger Girl, Moetan (really nice parody of mahou shoujo), SHnY (presentation), Elfen Lied (specific to its airing time)

What makes it popular: We all get sick of girls with swords, at least some of us. We also don't want to watch the same thing over with a slightly different plot.

Reasons I hate it: It's pretty ridiculous to use your cell phone to shoot laser beams at denizens of the underworld.

Is the hate really worth it? Yes, because it's usually not one anime where everyone has ridiculous weapons, but in a good anime where one character sort of ruins the whole experience.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote