Thread: Crunchyroll Saki
View Single Post
Old 2009-06-08, 14:39   Link #1083
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
But Kaori sure is cute <3 Blasting off everyone with a yakuman first round lol. I wished for a meganekko round last episode and I really got it \o/
What's amusing about it is that she thought that she just had a 2-fan toitoi hand (four triplets) instead of having a suu ankou yakuman (four triplets concealed). It's easy to imagine a beginner doing this since a toitoi is one of the easier hands to aim for, and it's quite possible to have never managed to get a suu ankou. It's little details like this that make the Mahjong action all the more interesting.

Quote:
edit: We also get more-or-less the reason for Hajimes chains (Hajime <3) so this episode was pretty cool.
What it also shows is how seriously cheating is considered, and how difficult it is to regain trust again. This is why Saki is very much a sports anime where something like Akagi isn't.

Quote:
Also Tsuruga should be aiming for Kazekoshi, judging from the last scene this is probably the worst thing she could do. You know youre going down when youre facing twintails as your opponent (lol) Episode 11 will be epic, I can feel it.
Actually, given how much Koromo is considered a Mahjong monster, everyone should have been aiming at Ryuumonbuchi so that they get knocked out and Koromo never gets a chance to play.

Prediction time: Hisa will wipe the floor with the other players with Hajime maybe being able to make a bit of a comeback. Then Nodoka will bring out her best game and beat up on Touka. When it finally gets to Koromo's turn, Ryuumonbuchi should be trailing the rest of the teams, so as to give more of a chance for her to show off her scary abilities. Saki should either start with a lead over everyone else or she will be somewhere in the middle of the pack. The dark horses in all of this will be Tsuruga since I'm not quite sure what's up with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca View Post
Yes, I couldn't agree more. ^_^ Just reading this thread, I got to admit I didn't get it at all. Until I actually tried the game, then it makes perfect sense. Having played the game also make me view this series in different light. Like in the beginning she was doing 'plus minus zero' I got the hint that was something cool she did. But after I played the game, I realized that is something really incredible to be able to stay plus minus zero. Even a veteran will have problem to pull that off. What a strange girl she is. >_<
Purposefully getting to +/- 0 is basically impossible. A single unexpected riichi declaraction would spoil even the best-laid plans, and there's no way to control what your opponents do (or when they win hands). So far, this is the closest thing to a supernatural talent in Saki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
In any case, have I remarked how cool the people at Tsuruga are? Because they are. Even if they are in 2nd place by pure and unadulterated newbie luck
Kaori is an unexpectedly fun character. She's also just about the worst kind of opponent for Mako to go up against because Mako is dependent on pattern recognition, and erratic play from inexperienced players can wreak havoc on patterns (shades of Hikaru no Go!)

I'm all but immune to the moe-factor, but I still can't get over how much fun I'm having watching Saki - it comes second here to all of the shows I'm watching that started in April. I can't wait to see what Hisa's going to be up to: she should be up to some evil/cool play that should be a blast to watch.