View Single Post
Old 2007-05-25, 02:25   Link #113
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedash View Post
I think the strange speaking mannerisms actually work here for Konata. Her mush-filled mouth is distinctive and belongs to a socially stunted nerd. To go along with what Kaoru was saying, sometimes pro seiyuu start being too good at it...like Hocchan and her moe. With her television appearance on Hey x3 lately and her Suzu in Airantou, she sounds like she's too conscious of the moe appeal and dials it in with intent.
That's not it. The aim of Heyx3 and the tsukkomi combo host on it is to make fun of the guests. The trend in Japan right now is "hey look at how weird these otakus are!", so they snipped a 30minute long interview and took the worst possible 5 minutes to televise.

Like Mizuki Nana's first appearance on Heyx3, Hocchan got caught out. Both Nana-chan and Hocchan were acting the way that they would in front of their fans thus making them perfect make fun of material in the eyes of normal people, Aya (or her management) is the one that's playing smooth here where they got her to switch into a different mode to play the innocent cutie.

There's an article I've wrote in my blog comparing the first Nana-chan appearance with the Aya appearance, you can read it here.

Quote:
Long story short, Hirano is approaching it as a relative neophyte, which gives it some moe credibility (and I think she is supposed to be very moe), and the mannerisms work in that Konata sounds twisted.
I'd argue otherwise, Aya is the one that's trying to play neophyte, which is why I say her delivery is artificial in Lucky Star. She's a pro already with more than 10 years of entertainment experience (she started acting at the age of 9, her debute seiyuu role was more than 5 years ago) and now she's trying really hard, too hard in fact, to undo/hide those experience and that's why I'm calling it artificial.

A pro in any field delibrately trying to act amateur is very very hard, and the result is usually awkward. That's the feeling I get with Aya in Lucky Star.