View Single Post
Old 2010-10-05, 09:10   Link #73
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
May I ask what make you disgusted in 1st volume? because personally I thought the end of 1st volume was fairly touching and wholesome. On the other hand, second part of volume 4 and entire 5 was pretty messed up, though they were incredibly funny...
This is going to be a weak excuse, but I don't really remember. I seem to have brain damage that makes me forget anything I've read/watched inside of a month or so, and after that I only recollect general impressions. Right after I finished the book I was furious and raged a bunch at my poor friends, but those details are no longer in my head.

It's something like ... well, everything. First of all it's pretty second rate, writing-wise; jokes aren't that funny, the characters are all unlikeable, plot is meh. I can forgive that, usually. The biggest problem is the idea behind the work. The author is trying to rewrite universal values and common sense to fit his little fantasy of what the world should be like, and it's disgusting to me. It's an apologetic, otaku-pandering, thinly veiled incestuous shitfest.

Unfortunately I picked it up right after finishing Nisemonogatari (by Nishio Ishin), which has a lot of similarities, but executed by a genius. Comparing them is just painful on Oreimo's behalf.