View Single Post
Old 2010-09-29, 11:35   Link #71
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
From Nahum's skin tone, I'd say it was in the middle-east. From his voice... I'd say they speak British English. Granted, though Freesia York was pretty dark-toned.

It could also be entirely made up. Dryer is his surname as well.
To be fair, many monarchs in the Middle East, particularly countries friendly with the UK, sent their heirs there to study, many at Sandhurst - for instance Jordan's King Abdullah, who speaks British English and trained as an Army officer at Sandhurst (the British Army's equivalent of Lanseal).

On the other hand, as Red has pointed out, Dryer being his surname doesn't mean the country is called Dryer; as an example the British Royal Family is known as the House of Tudor, William and Harry use the surname Wales while serving as RAF & Army officers...

As my Royal Navy source told me, the Naval College at Dartmouth had students from all over the world, despite being predominantly British. Heck he could be from this place's version of Israel - Nahum is a Hebrew name, and isn't very commonly used in English (as opposed to "Sarah", which means princess, and is the most common Hebrew Female Name in English).

This is the part where I'd go on a rambling lecture on how English has loanwords from various sources, etc etc, and that many names come from all over the place or are corruptions of their original languages (e.g. Welsh-origin surnames Bowen and Pritchard are corruptions of Ap Owen and Ap Richard)... so I'll just skip the lecture with a Top Gear Style Fade to black...

Some time later...

Regards Gallia, I think Max wanted to capture the country quickly for several reasons:

Spoiler for Be advised, contains ENDGAME SPOILERS:

I want to point out, however, that the Imperials may have singed a non-agression treaty/peace treaty/what have you for a keen reason - they can't be bothered to fight here. Consider the losses Maxmillian's forces sustained - the Imperials are not made of men, despite their Germanic-Soviet influences, and must use their troops where needed. If conquering Gallia results in them owning a country of ash, where all the mines have been sabotaged, then there's no point at all.

Note that immediately after D-Day, the allies made attempts to capture a number of key ports from the Germans. By the time the ports were captured, they'd been so badly damaged by the defenders that it took months to get them ready again. The Imperials may be wanting to avoid this situation.

I believe in miracles.