View Single Post
Old 2011-11-25, 03:07   Link #29
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That was the best ep of the series for me in terms of emotional punch. I think Ikuhara did a brilliant job of making the symbolism of the child broiler come to life as personified by Shouma and Himari. The two characters who always seemed as if they would be at the heart of the conclusion but were mostly observers up to now finally emerged as real actors in the drama. Incredibly beautiful animation and use of BGM.

As for the child broiler, I agree it's representative of many things. It's a Buddhist hell, and it's also symbolic of the way modern society (specifically Japan) wants desperately not to have to look at the undesirables who mar their image of a perfect society that exists for the good of all. And for every Shouma or Momoka or Superfrog who takes action just because they should, there are countless others who either do nothing or - like the Kiga Group - foul their karma and the world's by responding to injustice by lusting for revenge. I think the conclusion will be nothing less than a clash of world views, with Shouma and Kanba at the heart of it.