Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-18, 21:54   Link #214
Qilin
Romanticist

This second episode further affirms my view of Sumire as a product of today's fast-paced consumerist culture, a culture that perceives things like beauty and love as a commodities and as a conveniences. She's a deliberate contrast to the traditional Japanese values that karuta itself represents. Watching that contrast being expressed so powerfully here is interesting on its own, but this had other things going for it.

Once again, I find myself drawn to Sumire's character. Her growth in these first two episodes has been rather impressive. What's worthy of note here is that she was already sufficiently immersed in the mindset needed to appreciate karuta and the hundred poems right from the start. Her only problem lay in letting go of a few old habits. In retrospect, the clash between her and Kana should have been expected due to their vastly differing notions of "beauty". All-in-all, I have nothing against her single-minded pursuit of Taichi, rather, I think it's refreshing. I just don't like how she has to be rude about it.

Now, my only wish is that the story gives the other guys, aside from Taichi, some much deserved love. Right now, all we have of Nikuman and Tsukue in this season are superficial at best.