View Single Post
Old 2006-02-16, 12:13   Link #100
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Eclipse
I don't mind Shirou, I know it comes off that I don't like him but that's not true. He does get points for sticking up for what he believes. I just think he should approach achieving his ideals in a more practical sense. Not abandoning them, but looking foreward to what his ideals mean and how people will use that as weakness and then countering by some form. Right now he's just flying blind, holding onto his ideals. He's already been presented with a weakness in the way of his thinking, but his retort is not how he plans to counter it or how it is not a weakness. He fully accepts that there is a practical flaw in his way of thinking yet he does nothing to fix it. Like I said, it's still early so we'll just have to see how he develops as the story continues, but that's the assessment up till now and I believe it to be a pretty fair one. Ye good on him for sticking to his ideals in the face of adversity, bad that he doesn't really deal with the adverst problems
Thank you! That's precisely what I've been trying to say all this while. Unfortunately, too many people in this forum find any criticism of Shirou's character to be indicative of hatred of this series and turn against those who make such points. I don't compare him with any other anime character-- that's an irrelevant comparison to be made when evaluating a single work. I simply voice my opinion and hope to be understood in my reasoning, not have my message oversimplified and interpreted as mere bashing. Again, thank you for proving that someone understands what I'm trying to say.

It's not that Shirou is idealistic that gets me-- there are thousands of characters like that, and that's to be expected of the protagonist of a fantasy tale. The issue is that his character has yet to take on a means of self-improvement.
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote