View Single Post
Old 2013-03-22, 06:27   Link #32049
Drifloon

Not been following the current discussion, but hopefully no one minds me bringing something else up. I've been rereading the series lately and the meta-narrative of EP4 really confuses me. I can't see how Ange's role in it can possibly have any meaning to anything, yet so much time is spent on Meta-Ange that I can't help but feel that Ryukishi must have written it for a reason.

I mean, I totally understand the point of all the scenes with Ange in 1998, as well as the ones covering her time at St. Lucia; they're both hugely important to the themes of the series, they both make perfect sense on a narrative level, and it's clear why they're there. But the parts with Ange in the meta-world don't make any sense to me. What's the point of the whole story about Ange coming to bring Battler back from the meta-world, and the conflict with her being deceived by Bern and then Lambda trying to get her on her side (which is never mentioned again despite the dramatic build-up and super tense music seeming to imply that it's a hugely important scene), and her realising that she isn't Ange but "ANGE Beatrice" and then not really doing much in the meta-world again until she randomly dies? I really don't get what Ryukishi was trying to say with this subplot; it can't possibly mean anything in terms of Prime, which is fine, but it also doesn't seem to serve to illustrate any thematic point either (aside from possibly the death scene I guess...but the whole thing with Bern and Lambda fighting over her still doesn't seem relevant). It feels so disconnected from everything else. How do you guys view these scenes?
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote