View Single Post
Old 2013-05-20, 08:22   Link #32342
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
But isn't social standing and well-being intrinsically linked in the social realm that the Ushiromiya's exist in? They do care about their families, but money is an inherent element that cares for their well-being as well and being able to care for your family is again deeply linked with a certain element of honor, or rather not being able to care for them creates shame.

What I do not understand in this discussion is, why they cannot be loving people and consumed by the need for money at the same time. It's as if being one would directly contradict the other.
Krauss would die for his wife and daughter. That is not the same thing as "Krauss would murder his entire family including probably his wife and daughter, because come on, you can totally trust the nutcase with a bomb right?" The entire idea for any accomplice is insane, callous, risky, and most likely counterproductive.

It's also stupid to the point of absurdity. Put in two minutes of thought and it falls apart: "Yes, my need for money is so great that I have basically no reservations about assisting a mentally ill person who threatened me with a bomb that I now know exists in killing my entire family, all on the promise that this teenage girl can totally get me hundreds of millions of yen that isn't based in illegal gold or vague promises and that I won't be immediately arrested for suddenly having that money after all of my siblings are horribly murdered. I am sure she will keep her word to help my particular part of the family after the fact because oh wait what is her endgame anyway? What is it she wants? Whatever it is, she'd kill everyone else to get it, so why not me as well? Why am I useful to her? Why should she give me anything? How will she stop me from ratting her out to the police afterward?"

You'd have to be an idiot, a lunatic, or a monster to even believe this is a sincere offer. You would have to be completely unable to look to Yasu's motive and realize she has absolutely no incentive to actually help you. Kyrie would never fall for this, and I find it difficult to believe the other adults would suddenly come down with a terminal case of the stupids over it. People previously shown to be smarter than this don't buy a line like that no matter what gets thrown at them, unless they're pretending to agree temporarily in order to turn the tables. At that point, the only reason Yasu would succeed would be blind luck, because she's not more clever than the people she thinks she's manipulating. And if she failed, you still run across the issue of figuring out why things would turn into some kind of mass death thereafter. Certainly there may be reasons, and they make more sense than hers would, but that doesn't necessarily make them plausible either.

It's not a sane motive. It's the motive of a villain in a murder mystery story and nothing more. And that's fine... for the murder mystery stories. An accomplice is an accomplice within her tales and the justification is permitted to be flimsier than it would really be. That's especially true when you're judging other people, whose depths you cannot easily know, and thus in fiction portray them as having more simplistic desires. But in the existence of a theoretical Prime there is absolutely no chance that this could be anyone's real motive. Not Yasu's, not the adults', not nobody's not nohow.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote