View Single Post
Old 2013-05-20, 13:52   Link #32343
Dormin

I totally believe that standards of japanese society act a significant role in umineko.

However, as probably stated before somewhere, umineko is very western game in a way. Even the names and, to certain degree, clothing are trying to be "western". Personally I believe while considering the dealings with culprit and possibly yasu the pattern of behavior shouldn't be considered from the society viewpoint and what is generally accepted because almost anything that happens in the umineko, at least concerning the murders, is not accepted by society.

Now here's my two cents:

With yasu I agree with renalls general thoughtline. Even though he seems to think things FAR too logically (like neglecting the effect of panic and threatening) he has the right idea: people in umineko are smart. We have lots of evidence about this. If we want to explain the gameboards with yasu-culprit, that basically means she and her entire plan is batshit crazy. Now, like I probably stated somewhere before, threatening people straightforwardly with a gun is a plan I can see working, but supposing yasu either scared people with da bomb or people generally thought they were just playing around (both shown in our confessions) that is very difficult thing to grasp. I don't see anyone playing along with the culprit. One of the most unlogical thing I can see with yasuculprit (even though we can say "gameboards don't necessarily make sense as they are games") is the fact that seemingly sharp people go along with a completely retarded plan for a long period of time: the timeperiod is crucial. It is hard to believe people wouldn't dare to make somekind of plan against yasu, even though she has the bomb, just because teenager is saying she probably has a bomb with no evidence.

But on the other hand, I can see the murders happening if they were actually done impulsively. If we start thinking "realistically" the most unrealistic thing in the entire game is probably the concept of murder creating detective story and people acting along it. In this way threatening people as time passes becomes more and more difficult as the time not spent supervising accomplices becomes more short.

In this way the problem becomes if any person on the island is willing to play along with totally impossible plan about ritualistic murders with clearly insane individual with no change of trust or succeeding in getting money that might or might not exist while risking everyone on the family and probably persons of love.

To certain degree I can say, even if it sounds impossible, it might not be impossible. Only thing it really needs is a perfect trust between the culprit and accomplices (trust of not detonating the bomb and the promise of certain wealth), as we know the cast includes people capable of killing. However, once again, trusting an instable teenager with lots of guns and clearly delusional mind is something that should not be considered out of blue with characters that certainly posses the certain level of intelligence.

If we talk about prime, sure, I can see someone killing others for gold, as we can skip all the unnecessary forcing of murders to become a pure detective story.
Dormin is offline   Reply With Quote