View Single Post
Old 2013-05-20, 14:24   Link #32344
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Regarding Episode 4, I mentioned that it is quite possible for Gohda and Kumasawa to be acting on the belief that everything is just a game and no murders have actually happened. It might even be possible to set things up so that Krauss, Kyrie, Nanjo, and Jessica believe everything's a game.

Setup: Yasu walks into the dining hall, where the adults are arguing. S/he shows the signet ring and announces "I am Ushiromiya Yasu, true heir to Ushiromiya Kinzo. I have solved the epitaph." (Perhaps Yasu presents some gold bars, or explains the epitaph.) "I am suspending the epitaph as a means of choosing the successor. None of you deserve it. Instead, I will give your respective children one last chance. If any of them pass my test, I will give all to them. But they must believe at all times that the test is real. If any of you reveal to them that this is fake before the test is over, I will instantly revoke my offer. Gohda, Kumasawa, go to the guest house. Tell the children that there has been an attack on the dining hall." Yasu then stares at Krauss. He nods and says "Do as Yasu says."

Yasu gives an excuse to separate the "survivors" of the initial attack. ("I want to keep you apart so that you stay in character.") They call the guesthouse and give the story. Maybe the six first twilight victims are killed at that point; maybe they are left alive, in case somebody does pass Yasu's test.

For Jessica's test, she goes to her room, where Yasu meets her. They talk; eventually Yasu informs Jessica that she failed her test. If she agrees to stay in character and deliver a message to Battler and Maria, one of them might pass; if she reveals that this is a game to them, the offer will be revoked. (Both Battler and Maria will take their tests outside.) Jessica then agrees to deliver a message to Battler.

(Did Jessica reveal that she knew George was killed outside?)

I can believe in an accomplice who goes along with Yasu, believing that nobody is in any true danger. (as seen above)

I can believe in an accomplice who is actively evil. (Genji is the only one who really matches this; I can believe him following Yasu's orders as Kinzo's successor.)

I can believe in an accomplice who goes along because of a threat that can not be directly countered. (Natsuhi in Ep. 5 goes along because of a threat against Krauss.)

I can't believe in an accomplice who goes along because of a threat which can be directly countered. "I have a gun that is pointed right at you. Do as I say or I'll shoot." or "There's a bomb on this island and I'm holding the remote right now." can't be directly countered. "I have a gun in the next room and..." can be countered by running away, or by attacking first. "There's a bomb on this island, and the trigger is elsewhere." can be countered by attacking and trying to force things out of Yasu.

So I can't believe in "Our Confessions", as I understand it. I think that Krauss would be more likely to go Jack Bauer on Yasu.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote