View Single Post
Old 2013-05-20, 16:12   Link #32350
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealym View Post
Also, on the matter of the gold being worthless - that's not entirely true. Even if it was difficult, and they didn't exchange them at the proper rates, a single ingot would probably still net a bunch ton of money. The problem as I understood it in EP7 was that it would be improbable to do anything with THAT MUCH gold, especially since it's unmarked and questionably legal in the first place.

If, say, Rosa though, took a single ingot, claiming it was a parting gift from Kinzo (who is well known to MAYBE have gold lying around), she can probably get something for it, right..? ...right? I'm not knowledgable in how that kinda stuff works, but that at least sounds very common-sense to me...
I calculated it a while back; a single ingot is worth several hundred thousand dollars. Not really enough to get the adults out of their troubles, but a decent amount of money.

Problem is, where'd it come from? There's no legal way to sell it, so you'd need to go via an illicit source, meaning you have to know one and they'd have to be willing to basically melt it down for you. And you would get taken to the cleaners on value. Kyrie might know a guy, but I doubt the other adults do.

Honestly, I just don't think Ryukishi understands this issue and earnestly believes that "finders keepers" is the whole of the law with respect to Kinzo owning the gold. For example, the very idea that he used the gold as collateral at least acknowledges the gold cannot be easily spent... however, no sane bank is going to give him a loan with that gold as collateral.

Yes, it's ten tons of pure gold. That's lovely, it's worth billions. But the guy who has it doesn't actually own it, and in the event he defaults on your loan and you demand he pay you back, what do you do? If you file in court, you have to acknowledge that the gold exists, at which point the governments of Japan/the USA/Italy probably step in and say it's war spoils and needs to go to one of them. If you try to quietly collect on your loan... how? Are you gonna send guys to go break Kinzo's legs and haul the gold off with forklifts and speedboats?

Shit, the island itself is far better collateral for a loan than the gold under it. Even the freaking torpedos have greater value and sale potential than the gold. Krauss had the right idea mortgaging the place, at least that's a loan that makes sense.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote