View Single Post
Old 2011-03-05, 16:50   Link #394
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
If this was a conventional magical girl show, you would be right. But what is really unusual about Madoka Magica is that it has systematically called into question all the assumptions of the genre.
I don't care about genre conventions; I'm just fallowing plot development. If the conflict of values between Madoka and Incubator wasn't to be addressed by the narrative, it shouldn't have been brought up to begin with. Not now right before the climax.

Quote:
If this is not tragic, what is?
If Incubator was really just a plot device, this would be a tragedy (in the narrative sense), but that's not the case. Incubator is an acting characters because he has stakes on the matter, and he's the antagonist because his values are directly in opposition to those of the protagonist. How is this going to play out, I don't know. Oh, this is drama btw, not tragedy.

Quote:
Still, you and I are fortunate in that we will find out which of us is right. If the narrative amounts to a conflict between QB and the MSs, we will see a denouement in which the girls defeat QB, or not, and gain a happy ending, or not. In that case I'll cheerfully admit you were right.
I suppose we can agree on this.