Thread: Civilization V
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-24, 20:05   Link #99
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
You went through all that warring to win a Diplomatic Victory!?

I've never really fought a modern war in Civ before (I rarely finish Civ games, and by that point I would be aiming either for the space race or a UN victory). You said it wasn't your best war in the description -- but how do you properly fight a modern war?
Yea, I was getting tired, and didn't want to upload yet another video on youtube, so I just took the quick way out.

Modern war is fought the same way as most war past ancient ages-- with lots of collateral damage from siege weapons. But the advantage of modern war is that there's a new form of collateral damage from bombers. Therefore to win, you need to clog the skies with aircraft. Fighters shoot down enemy fighters and bombers do massive damage to enemies. Massed fighters do a lot of damage on their own, and also can draw fire from antiair. For overseas attacks, I would like several carriers loaded with aircraft to provide air superiority and to cram as much into an area as possible. You can defeat advanced enemies if you own the skies and use siege. It's also the only way to win naval battles decisively.

It's necessary to relegate certain fights to "intercept" so they will shoot down enemy aircraft. Infantry/Artilery is solid enough, but tanks help. You may also use small strike forces of marines to attack coastal cities, but that requires heavy air support.

Because of the extreme mobility of the enemy thanks to railroads, you may not be able to hold onto cities-- some may just have to burn.

Against backwards stacks, machine guns help a lot. Build airports in your cities and use the airlift function to reinforce captured cities.

Nukes help a lot, but I strongly dislike fighting a nuclear war at tech parity-- it pretty much devolves into whoever nukes first. Against backwards enemies, nukes are the easiest way to win. But if they have nukes too, it's a real pain unless you build SDI.

Another thing to worry about is war weariness. Use the culture slider to combat this.

Finally, you should have production infrastructure ready as much as you can handle. Power is always good, it's always nice to have a city that 1 turns modern armor.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote