View Single Post
Old 2012-12-20, 19:45   Link #29
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
You know, there is a scarier, alternative interpretation of Makishima's low psycho-pass. The Sibyl system isn't flawed and Makishima isn't crazy.
I don't think that the Sibyl system is flawed in the sense that it gives inaccurate readings. The readings it gives are accurate, it's just that those readings don't necessarily indicate criminality or the lack thereof.

I think that Psycho-Pass readings are like a more advanced version of a Lie Detector test. And it has similar flaws. Too much stress can turn a truthful statement into a "false positive" lie on a Lie Detector test. Also, if a person truly, really believes in something that's a lie, the Lie Detector test will register it as a truthful statement, because it is a truthful statement in the mind of the person stating it.

And here we come to Makishima, and why sociopaths can "fool" the Psycho-Pass system. I think that Makishima is entirely sincere. I think he really believes that what he is doing is "right", in some very profound sense. Yes, he's deriving enjoyment from it (some of it sadistic), but his actions are based on a philosophy that he sincerely believes is right and just with ever fiber of his being.

A while ago, I asked "What Psycho-Pass reading do you think Bruce Wayne would get"?

Now, let me ask another similar question that uses the comic book world to comment on the Sibyl System: What Psycho-Pass reading do you think Lex Luthor would get? To be very specific, a Lex Luthor that was in the process of killing Superman just like Makishima was in the process of killing Akane's friend here.

Of course, it depends on the version of Lex Luthor we're dealing with (the movie versions probably would be latent criminals). But some versions have become deluded to the degree that Luthor truly believes that Superman is a menace to humanity and should be killed. Lex Luthor is a sociopath that truly believes that he is in the right, and casing aside some lives to achieve his concept of "the greater good" is worth it.

The Psycho-Pass system would get your Jokers, but it might not get your Lex Luthors.