View Single Post
Old 2012-10-29, 23:05   Link #3279
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalStar View Post
So why has Kanade's buttmad produced results, while Shana's years and years of buttmad ended up poofing every year?
As I was saying in ISML Forum, in the early years, Shana often escaped defeat by skin of her teeth. She has the greatest number of cumulative wins in all the saimoe tournament, thus her number of enemies far outnumber everyone else. In addition, those 1 vote victories by her really made lasting impressions. Kanade rarely let anyone get in close enough for a chance to win, and when someone did, Kanade had her share of heartbreak loss. Shana had air of bully that somehow kept finding ways to torment you while Kanade, despite all her dominant wins, managed to portray herself as victim of opposing faction's manipulations due to key close losses.

Therefore, I think there was difference in how people viewed these 2 characters this year. Shana could not overcome the impression of "The one who beat my **** by 1 vote", while Kanade faction managed to spread the perception that Kanade is "victim who suffered heartbreaking loss to a bad bully". How well these perceptions have solid basis on facts would be subject of interesting debate, but these perceptions existed, and it helped contribute to Shana's downfall and Kanade's ascendency.