View Single Post
Old 2011-04-16, 13:29   Link #219
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
To be honest guys, I don't see this show getting more depressing later on. I mean, someone already died. Pretty hard to top that.

Which isn't to say it can't be a tearjerker. It can still make you cry, but it's most certainly not because the story will take a sad turn.

While it might be too early to tell, but the feeling I get from the first episode was actually all about moving on from childhood/adolescence (not reliving it); that dwelling in the past (especially traumatic experiences) is childish and that moving forward is the adult thing to do. Or at least, that's the direction I think the series is going towards to. I mean, what other direction can Jinta go when his current self is still all emo about the past, about not being able to say sorry to Menma before she died?

So yeah, if anything, AnoHana is actually trying to convey the exact opposite of what you think it is trying to tell us. .
Well, they can kill somebody else!

I fully agree with your views on the show. The main theme of this series is obviously "moving on". It might be depressing at times, but I'm sure the story will eventually end up being positive and heartwarming.

I really, really don't get why people keep comparing this (to the point of putting them up against each other) to Hanasaku. Yes, AnoHana is more hard-hitting than Hanasaku and there is more drama, so what? Does the fact Hanasaku is simply an uplifting coming of age story that doesn't blatantly try to pull on your heartstrings make it less good than AnoHana? Not in my book. It's pointless to compare the two on this basis, as I'm pretty sure those two series are not going for the same thing. Just sit back and enjoy them. Both have great writing (from the same writer to boot), an interesting premise, solid characters and top tier production values (although Anohana is a notch below Hanasaku in this department), whether you like one more than the other is entirely a matter of preference, I think. In case you want to know, I enjoyed Hanasaku's first episode a lot more than AnoHana's.