View Single Post
Old 2012-01-01, 05:37   Link #209
Shikijin

I agree with what was said. Liking or not a show is his personal taste, but it is bad taste to ever mention the word "otaku" in a review, whatever the reason. The word otaku for anime is like the word nazi for politics. It really doesn't mean anything anymore, nothing but a strawman. Can a show be really for otaku because it has references to other anime and manga? (which don't even have nothing to do with the author, he gains nothing by mentioning them, the author just likes to pay respect to things he likes) Is a show for otaku because it has fanservice? (I confess that when I was a teen I watched Ranma because it had naked tits) Is a show for otaku because it has lengthy dialogues? (if anything, that should give a better opinion of otaku) Are shows for otaku wathed only by otaku? (no) Are shows not for otaku watched by otaku too? (yes)

You understand Bakemonogatari better if you know a bit more than the average anime fan. This doesn't mean that even other kind of people can't like it though. When I started watching Bakemonogatari I didn't even know it came from a light novel series.

Anyway, while I seldom talk about the show I didn't like because it would make me sound like a masochist for having watched them, there are people who like to nag about almost everything because it inflates their ego to make other people think they are ones who have discriminating tastes. My advice is to let them go. Nothing is lost.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote