View Single Post
Old 2012-09-30, 21:57   Link #5
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
But what if the fundraising on kickstarter is a big factor in why it's notable? For instance a big reason why the Double Fine Adventure was notable was due to it's presence on Kickstarter. However, this may become less of a factor as time goes on...
And why being popular on Kickstarter has to have a relevance in the thread? If the game is good and looks promising, then there's no need whatsoever to have Kickstarter attached to it. If people really want to, they could easily do a search and find the project page themselves.

Remember that your thread is supposed to be about the game, not about Kickstarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone
There may be projects without anything but a Kickstarter page. It may be unlikely, but it could happen.
Again, you can still use the info (if any) to start a discussion here; Even if you use your own words to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone
A big factor in it's fame was it's presence on kickstarter. While you allowed discussion of the technology, you purged it of mentions of kickstarter, which I'd say gimped the discussion (which might be why it didn't get many replies).
No, there simply wasn't much to discuss about back then, something that even other sites pointed out. People didn't show interest in that thread in the same way they have not showed interest in so many others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Arcade
There is a reason that the press around the newly-announced OUYA game console is based almost exclusively around the amount of money being raised by the product’s Kickstarter, and that reason is simple: There is very little else to report on.

Quote:
May be a good idea. But if mentioning kickstarter projects is still against the rules, it might not work. But if exception could be granted to that thread specifically, that could be a good compromise.
What exaclty do you want to discuss there? Kickstarter itself? why it has become so popular and why they have restrictions for each project? There's a lot that can be discussed about the site without linking to the projects.

If you want to turn the thread into a "Post your favorite Kickstarter project" then please re-read everything I have told you so far.

Quote:
1. The people posting there might not choose to bother posting it elsewhere, and the project might be obscure enough that no one would post it elsewhere.
Not our problem.

Quote:
2. Users won't be willing to go to that kind of level of effort to retype it here. If the information is easy to see on the page, they'd just link it. They're not going to bother going to the effort to condense it for just the forum members here. Also, a forum is not suited to posting long info dumps. General etiquette (from my experience) is to not repost infodumps from other websites as it takes up too much of the page and doesn't read well in a forum format.
Not true and our forum is proof of that. When there's a real interest, people will be more than willing to create a thread for a game/anime/manga that interest them and they will also try to keep the thread updated with the latest info.

Quote:
3. It's copyright infringement to repost the content that other's have written in full. You would have to give attribution (which in this case would mean referring to kickstarter ).
Now you are just splitting hairs. Please check all the threads here that uses info from other sources.

Quote:
Not only that, but other websites often object to reposting of their content. While Kickstarter is not one of these websites,
It has always been our policy to respect the rights of others. If we get a notice (and we have) telling us to remove content from the site, and we believe they have a good reason to, then we'll do it no questions asked.

Quote:
Also, to some Kickstarter might be a medium to raise money first, and everything else second. To others, it's more a medium to look at interesting projects first, and a medium to donate to them second. I've never donated on Kickstarter, but I've gone on it often enough just to look at the various weird things there. I think Kickstarter goes a bit beyond simply raising money.
More power to you then. It does not change what Kickstarter is, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Also, if you argue that people are posting kickstarter pages with the intention of advertising for people to fund things which they view as small and independent and worthy of the funding (which I'm sure does go on), you could argue mentioning any indie whatever, kickstarter or no, is a similar form of advertising. If I mention recently released Indie game X in the hope that my advertising will lead more forum members will try it, and maybe even buy it, it's functionally the same as if I mentioned a kickstarter. But the former is not against the rules, while the latter is.
No, because there's a big difference in starting a thread to discuss a game (thus showing it), than to simply start a thread to advertise a fund rasing. If you want to show a new game to others here, then be my guest and do it, but please don't do it because it has a kickstarter page, do it because it interest you.