View Single Post
Old 2007-06-21, 20:55   Link #52
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Rank 47

I guess it's my turn now. ^^ Takes place just before our Fab 4 take on the Male Awakened. Miria's thoughts.

Rank 47 – although I did not show it on my face, I was astounded. She, who scarcely a few weeks ago, dispatched four mid-tier youma with ease was the lowest amongst us? I could not believe it. Something was definitely wrong here but at the time, I could not fathom what that could be. How could that poise and confidence, that overwhelmingly powerful aura I felt radiating from her that day belong to one who occupied the lowly rank of 47?

I felt my initial misgivings mirroring that of Helen, ranked 22nd amongst us, but I knew that something was up. It had to be. There’s no way that my eyes, my senses could been fooled that day. Whoever she truly was and whatever it was that she was hiding my curiosity demanded that I find out just what that may be.

Being the lowest number, of course Helen hazed her constantly. Even Deneve had some words to say about her and even though I ignored it as best I could, I felt slightly irritated at the general fact that we would bicker so easily about anything whenever we grouped together. Even so, when I heard Clare grab for her sword yet again, I sighed. The young boy she had brought with her seemed to be the hot topic of the Awakened Being hunt; every hunt has one and it is usually at the expense of the lowest ranked. Even as Helen and Devene made their complaints about her vocal once again, I found myself not listening to them at all but drawn to her diminutive figure between them. God, her eyes… They couldn’t see but I could. Deep down, I felt my innermost self shiver at the barely suppressed rage in those bright silver orbs. For a moment, a tiny part of me wanted to unleash all that glorious anger upon the other two, to glimpse that enticing overwhelming power in action with my own two eyes. Instead, I berated them yet again to let the matter of her joining us rest. Even as I said that, I realized that I did not want to wait any longer. I wanted to test her - to take the full measure of this enigma in my own way.

While Helen went to get food and Deneve rested inside the cave I found, I approached her, both our swords in my hands and threw her hers. Combat - it was the quickest way and I had to know once and for all - this was a perfect opportunity. Sparring with her in the rain, while it provided me with her sword skill level, did nothing to appease my curiosity. I felt nothing of that powerful aura. No great technique came into play. No superb swordsmanship. Even as we sparred, she moved…strangely, as if she was trying to use a different style from what was taught us. Her eyes rarely left my own, staring at me with such an intense concentration I never have felt or seen before. I ended the match quickly, not wanting to drag it out further than it already had. Or was it to prevent being drawn in…but drawn in by what? Was I the one who retreated from that match even though I had the upper hand? Impossible.

I left her where she had fallen and walked back into the cave, my own mind split on the decision to the question proposed by the two of them yet again. They’ll never let a moment slide to remind me that she was Rank 47 and that her dismal performance just now fit that ranking. I should have sent her away, but I didn’t. Even though the right thing to do would be to send her away, I refused, much to Helen’s chagrin. I knew that I was pushing my luck but maybe that power would come into play against the Awakened One. It was quite a gamble but one I felt I could work comfortably with. If worse came to worse, my technique should be enough to take out the Awakened One.

I look at them as they sleep. Deneve, her back against the rocky wall resting her sword along her shoulder…Helen sprawled out comfortably on the ground, hands behind her head. She even snores, the loudmouth. Figures she can’t keep quiet even while sleeping. I glance back outside as the rain continues to beat mercilessly against the slender form still outside. Staring at Clare’s rain-soaked and forlorn body, my eyes barely registered her slight breathing. Could she be dreaming? With a light sigh, I rest my back against my sword, impaled in the ground as is customary and close my eyes. Even now, my mind goes back to our first meeting as she appeared to me – gratingly self confident, and yet I feel an odd tingle race up my spine with just remembering that sensation. I can’t believe I am admitting this but maybe it is why I have been so preoccupied with her. I want to see that power…her power…for myself.

I want you to know who you really are, Rank 47. I won’t rest until I do.

Last edited by Tempest35; 2007-08-12 at 07:54. Reason: UPDATED